Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Don't judge a book by its cover

                          
                                                                                                                                                                                                          
          For those of you that know me you will know I have been struggling with my health for years now. If you don't know me well...you will see someone who takes pride in her appearance and may look from the outside like all is great in my world. You may see pictures of me on social media having a wonderful time with family and friends...dressed up, made up with not a care in the world. What you don't know is, that for now, these days are few and precious to me. 
            I'm not dying, I don't have a terminal illness and you can't tell from my outward appearance that I am struggling on a daily basis. I do have two chronic illnesses that are dibilitating and frustrating and can leave me bed ridden for days on end. I DONT tell you this for pity or to have you feel sorry for me. I am sharing this because it has taught me a VITAL life lesson:
                                    
                                        DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!

                               
        None of us have the right to judge anyone. I know in my profession I always see people who look fine on the outside but are in extreme pain on the inside. I look at where I am right now in my life and I have new awareness of how someone presents themselves, isn't always a true picture of WHO they are or what they are going through. 

                               

        So I Try to be nonjudgmental and a little understanding. I will regularly Check in with people...RUOK? Many people (like myself) won't ask for help or want to bother you and are often so sick of themselves they don't want to burden others with their own "stuff". Hence why they may "appear" on the outside like everything is fine.  Being a consistent thoughtful presence in someone's life can mean so much to them. Being selfless and putting yourself in their shoes can change your perspective about that person and it will make a huge difference to them!

                                 

         If you ask me on my "not so good" days I'll tell you I'm a sooky la la who cries at the slightest thing and sometimes feels sorry for myself. If you ask my closest friends they'll tell you AND  tell me daily; how brave and strong I am. I know I have the right to feel my feelings but I am also VERY AWARE that there are SO MANY other people out there worse off than me. For right now...this is my journey!  And so far I am grateful that this journey has taught me so much...greater compassion, non judgement, understanding, and empathy for others and myself. 


                                   

                                                                      Me too!! 
                                                                -Heidi Marie x



No comments:

Post a Comment